ALZHEIMER’S & DEMENTIA
Risk increases as hearing loss becomes more severe and is untreated.
High blood glucose levels associated with diabetes cause damage to the small blood vessels in the inner ear resulting in hearing loss, the same way it can damage eyes and kidneys.
Inadequate blood flow and trauma to the blood vessels of the inner ear can contribute to hearing loss.
Toxins that accumulate in the kidney can damage nerves, including those in the ear.
Hearing loss is a side effect for many after treatment. Most cancer treatments can be ototoxic, causing damage to the inner ear.
Just another reminder that getting a hearing test every year will help you stay on top of your game.
If you suffer from any of the above conditions, and notice a change in your mood or social interations (perhaps the TV is always too loud), it’s times to call/email us.
Hearing loss can lead to:
• INCREASED IRRITABILITY, NEGATIVISM & ANGER
• FATIGUE, TENSION, STRESS
• SOCIAL REJECTION & LONELINESS
• REDUCED ALERTNESS
• IMPAIRED MEMORY & INABILITY TO LEARN NEW TASKS
• REDUCED JOB PERFORMANCE AND EARNING POWER
• DIMINISHED PSYCHOLOGICAL HEALTH
Why you should wear a hearing aid if you need one
• SLOW COGNITIVE DECLINE. The majority of hearing is done with your brain. It’s important to consistently expose your brain to sound throughout your daily life. By wearing your hearing aids, you keep your brain healthy and retaining sounds as it should.
• INCREASE EARNING POWER. Untreated hearing loss can reduce your annual earnings.
• REDUCE AGGRAVATING TINNITUS SYMPTOMS
• INCREASE SOCIAL INTERACTIONS. The days of avoiding a dinner with friends and family will decrease as you become accustomed to hearing aids. The reduction of noisy backgrounds increase speech understanding and reduce misunderstood words.
• DECREASE THE FEELINGS OF ISOLATION. We take our hearing for granted until we lose it. It’s a very quiet and lonely world when sounds are muffled or mostly gone. Hearing aids will keep those sounds in your life and you’ll feel more like your old self.
• AS A GIFT TO YOUR SPOUSE/FRIENDS/FAMILY. No more LOUD TVs that run the family out of the room! As you understand speech better, you won’t need to request as many repeats of what they are saying or what others are saying.